Looking for a way to squeeze veggies into your breakfast? These waffles can be served over leafy greens, topped with fresh or sauteed veggies or spread with salsa and/or guacamole. They also pair beautifully with our most popular recipe of all time – Better than Cheese Queso.
Why squeeze veggies into breakfast? A meta-analysis including 95 studies, concluded that more veggies and fruits leads to less heart disease, cancer and overall deaths (this feels like a duh.. but thank you, science). This means any meal without veggies and fruits is a missed opportunity to fight off nasty, all-to-common diseases.
Garbanzo bean flour is simply ground up garbanzo beans (aka: chickpeas) and can be found in the baking aisle or health food section at most grocery stores. We also found it in the bulk food section where you get to scoop out as much or as little as you want. When baked, it holds together well and is a great base for savory dishes.
If you don’t have a waffle iron, these can also be made into hot cakes. Simply pour 1/4 cup portions into a heated non-stick skillet over medium-high, let cook for 2-3 minutes, flip and repeat.
Check out these posts to learn more about the nutritious and tasty ingredients used in this recipe: flaxseed, nutritional yeast and turmeric.
Interested in other ways to add veggies to your breakfast? Here’s a few of our faves: Turmeric breakfast Hash, Savory Oatmeal, Scrambled Tofu Breakfast Tacos
South-of-the-Border Savory Plant-Based Waffles
- 1 cup garbanzo bean flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 T flax egg (1T ground flax combined with 3 T water)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup water
- toppings of choice (leafy greens, diced peppers, salsa, hot sauce)
- Make flax egg, set aside.
- Whisk together all ingredients, except flax, in a large mixing bowl until no chunks remain. Add flax egg and whisk until combined.
- Add half of batter to a non-stick waffle iron. Close and let cook for 2-3 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Serve warm with toppings of choice (diced bell peppers, salsa, hot sauce, sauteed mushrooms, leafy greens).