When breakfast includes a hearty portion of veggies and a dose of turmeric, the day is off to a great start!
This hash is veggie-filled, making it colorful and packed with nutrients.
- Sweet potatoes – Be sure to keep the skin ON. It has near TEN TIMES as many antioxidants as the inner flesh. Also, not peeling the skin happens to cut way down on the prep time. Win-Win! ??
- Red onion – Just as sweet potatoes pack more nutrients than white potatoes, red onions are more nutrient-dense than white or yellow onions. Bright colors are always a great choice when it comes to produce!
- Garlic – We love the convenience of buying pre-minced garlic, which is often sold in the produce section.
- Turmeric – Nutritionally, this spice is the star of the show! Turmeric (*affiliate link) is better absorbed when consumed with black pepper.. which is conveniently another ingredient in this dish.
- For extra flavor, this can be topped with salsa, avocado, nutritional yeast, hot sauce or red pepper flakes. You do you!
This colorful hash can be enjoyed as a light breakfast on it’s on, or alongside another breakfast or brunch dish. Here’s a few ideas: Lemon Blueberry Oat Pancakes, Scrambled Tofu, Mung Bean Eggs, Rock-star Raspberry Muffins, Weekend Waffles or simply sprouted grain toast topped with nut butter.
If you’re making this on the weekend, why not make extra to heat up for a quick breakfast during the week? Leftovers keep for up to 5 days in a sealed container in the refrigerator. Re-heat in the microwave for 30-60 seconds for a quick meal or snack.
We used this oven-safe skillet (*affiliate) to make this yummy hash!
Sweet Potato & Turmeric Breakfast Hash
- 2 Tbsp water or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 2 tsp minced garlic or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into 1/2 inch cubes or 2 small
- 1 large bell pepper (any color), diced
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 Tbsp optional toppings: salsa, fresh parsley or cilantro, nutritional yeast, avocado optional
- In an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat, add 2 T of water or broth, diced onion, garlic and sweet potato. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add additional water or broth as needed to prevent sticking.
- Add bell pepper, tomatoes, green onions, turmeric, paprika, cumin, black pepper and salt and stir. Cover and let cook for 3 minutes, or until all ingredients are soft. Add water or broth as needed.
- Optional: For crispy texture, remove lid and broil on high in the oven for 1 minute. Turn off the oven and carefully remove skillet using a hot pad.
- Serve warm, topped with salsa, fresh herbs, nutritional yeast or avocado.
*We are a participant in affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to affiliated sites. We use the products and ingredients that we link to and recommend them because we believe they are the best choice for you.