Stuffed mushrooms are our dad’s all-time-favorite go-to appetizer for parties. This recipe has been tweaked over the last few years to make it not only healthier (forgoing the cheese), but also tastier. Every year for get-togethers we make more stuffed mushrooms than we did last year, and every year we still run out! For our mushroom-loving family, this crowd-pleasing, whole food, plant-based rosemary stuffed mushroom recipe is a party staple.
Typical stuffed mushrooms are cheese-filled. As outlined in The Cheese Trap, the dairy protein, fat, cholesterol, salt and hormones found in cheese is harmful. Nasty for our health, it also contains mild opiates, making it addictive. As a result – the average American eats about 35 pounds of cheese each and every year. HOLY COW!!!
For many, getting rid of the cheese (and all dairy) is easier if you have healthier, cheese-like, alternatives. In this recipes, soaked and pureed cashews offer a creamy texture and mouthfeel. Cashews also have a neutral flavor, great for featuring tasty herbs and spices.
Rosemary Stuffed Mushrooms
- Soak raw cashews in 2 cups of hot water for 20 minutes. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash mushrooms. Remove and dice stems.
- Add diced mushrooms stems, onion and minced garlic to a medium skillet over medium heat. Saute for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add rosemary and red pepper flakes and stir to combine. Remove from heat. Stir in spinach and set aside.
- Drain raw cashews, reserving water. Add cashews, 1/2 cup of reserved water, turmeric, salt and pepper to food processor and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. If needed, add additional reserved water, 1 T at a time until smooth consistency is reached.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cooked veggie mixture and cashew puree. Stir until evenly combined.
- Evenly fill mushroom caps with mixture and place, filling side up, up parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool, serve while warm.
*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We use the products and ingredients that we link to and recommend them because we believe they are the best choice for you.