Why are sweet potatoes a staple in our house? They’re both cheap and versatile! You can turn them into savory dishes like chowder, burgers and hash. They offer a great texture for rich and fudge-y brownies. And when you’re looking for something sweeter than regular old sweet potatoes fries, you can make these loaded dessert fries!
Sweet potatoes have a lot to offer nutritionally, being rich in potassium and antioxidants (make sure to eat the skin!). They have one of the highest nutrient-rich food scores per dollar – meaning you’re getting a lot of bang for your buck. When they’re on sale don’t be afraid to stock up as they can last for months when stored in a cool and dry place.
As a side note, don’t be fooled by processed products like sweet potato chips. Even though they started with a healthy ingredient, once the sweet potato is fried in oil and topped with salt it gets moved to the junk food category. It’s simply fatty empty calories at this point. Thinking that you’re getting any nutrition from packaged sweet potato chips is wishful thinking.
Loaded Dessert Sweet Potato Fries
- 4 sweet potatoes washed
- 2 T all natural peanut butter creamy
- 2 T dairy-free dark chocolate melted
- 2 T shredded coconut unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 450'F.
- Slice sweet potatoes into fries with knife or mandoline. Arrange on 2 parchment lined baking sheets. Avoiding overcrowding as this will prevent them from crisping.
- Bake for 20 minutes, stir, and bake for additional 10 minutes or until golden and crispy. Remove from oven.
- Drizzle peanut butter over fries. If peanut butter is too thick to drizzle, microwave for 10 seconds at a time until runny.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate. (Chocolate can be melted in a microwave safe bowl for 30 second at a time in the microwave, or in a double boiler on the stove top.) If chocolate is too thick to drizzle add 1 tablespoon of non-dairy milk at a time until it reaches a runny consistency.
- Sprinkle coconut over fries and enjoy!
- Green & Black’s
- Trader Joe’s semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Enjoy Life semi-sweet chocolate
- 70% and up of Lindt products (70%, 85%, 90% and 99% bars)
*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We use the products and ingredients that we link to and recommend them because we believe they are the best choice for you.