This gingerbread loaf is recipe #2 in our holiday dessert recipe series. Every post until Christmas will be a holiday dessert recipe and we have some dynamite recipes we’re excited to share. If you missed it, these amazing festive peppermint brownies (drool) were our opener and we have 8+ more recipes coming!
This Gingerbread Loaf with a Pumpkin Spice Glaze is for the gingerbread lovers out there. It’s a flavor that is unfortunately confined to the Christmas season, which is silly because it’s way too delicious to enjoy only once a year.
The gingerbread flavor is comprised of ginger, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg. Ginger has benefits beyond tasting amazing. It contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. There’s mounds of evidence it helps reduce muscle aches and arthritis pain, helps with blood sugar control, indigestion, and menstrual cramps, decreases cholesterol, protects against cancers, and helps with brain function. What doesn’t ginger do? Bottom line.. include ginger in your diet. Your taste buds and body will thank you!
The flour in this recipe is made from old fashioned oats simple ground into flour in a food processor. This flour gives the bread a more course and dense texture. Pitted dates and bananas are used to sweeten this bread. The riper the banana, the sweeter the product. We recommend peeling and storing your overripe bananas in an airtight container in the freezer for this recipe along with this Chocolate Banana Quick Bread, Chocolate Banana Ice Cream, Cookie Dough Nice Cream, and this Chocolate Banana Breakfast Shake.
Gingerbread Loaf with a Pumpkin Spice Glaze
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 6 tbsp water
- 3/4 cup pitted dates packed
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 3 large very ripe bananas or 4 small
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
Pumpkin Spice Glaze
- 1/2 cup pitted dates packed
- 3/4 cup almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Create chia egg by combining the 2 tablespoons of chia seeds and 6 tablespoons of water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken.
- Preheat oven to 350'F and line a 9x5" bread pan with parchment paper.
- Place pitted dates and hot water in a food processor and process until smooth. Stop to scrape down sides as needed.
- In a medium bowl mash bananas with a fork. Add in the processed dates, vanilla, apple cider vinegar and chia egg, and mix well.
- Clean and dry the food processor. Place old fashioned oats in food processor and process until a flour has formed. This should only take a minute or two.
- In another medium bowl combine processed oats, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt, and mix well. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the lined bread pan and place in oven for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
Pumpkin Spice Glaze
- Place all glaze ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
- After removing the gingerbread loaf from the pan, pour the glaze over the loaf.