December is here and what does that mean?? It’s time for holiday treats!! Starting today with these Festive Peppermint Brownies, all of our posts until Christmas will be holiday dessert recipes because… priorities, right? These dessert recipes will not only be delicious, but also nutritious with a few undetectable veggies, beans and whole grains snuck in here and there. Tune in every Tuesday and Saturday until Christmas for a new holiday treat recipe!
Check out last years healthy holiday treat recipes here -> 2017 Holiday Treats
These Festive Peppermint Brownies have a holiday twist on your traditional black bean brownies. They’re sweetened naturally with pitted dates and topped with crushed peppermint for a festive finish.
Festive Peppermint Brownies
- 12 pitted Deglet dates soaked with 1/2 cup water
- 2 T ground flax, soaked with 6 T water
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 T crushed candy canes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 8x8 inch pan with parchment paper.
- Add dates and water to food processor and process until smooth. Add all remaining ingredients (except crushed candy canes) and process until smooth.
- Pour batter into parchment-lined backing sheet. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with crushed candy canes and let cool 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week in refrigerator.