Cacao powder is a little different then cocoa powder. Either will work for any recipe that calls for cocoa, although cacao packs a little more of a nutritional punch. Cacao powder is made by cold-pressing unroasted cocoa beans. Cocoa powder is made from cocoa beans that have been roasted. Unfortunately the roasting process reduces the enzyme properties, which reduces the nutritional value. In short, the living enzyme properties are maintained in cacao powder but not in cocoa powder.
Although, in many cases whether using cocoa or cacao, you end up baking the product. So wouldn’t the enzyme properties be reduced then? Maybe. There is not definitive research that says one way or another. Although either way starting off with a product that is more nutritionally dense (cacao) is definitely smarter than starting off with a nutritionally inferior product (cocoa).
Date paste is used in this recipe. Find more info about dates and date paste HERE.
Chocolate Banana Quick Bread
- 1 Chia egg 1T chia seeds + 3T water
- 1 1/4 cup Whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup Cacao powder or cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/2 cup Pitted Dates packed
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 5 Tbsp Water
- 3 large Bananas, overripe
- 1/4 cup Almond milk original, unsweetened
- Cacao nibs optional
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a small bowl make chia egg. Let sit for at least 10 minutes.
- Place parchment paper in a 9 x 5" bread loaf pan.
- In a bowl mix together the whole wheat flour, cacao powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Create date paste by placing dates, vanilla, and water in a food processor and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
- In a large bowl mash the overripe bananas. Add the almond milk, date paste, and chia egg and stir until smooth.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Pour batter into loaf pan.
- Bake for 65 to 70 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean after inserting into the center of the loaf.
- Remove the loaf pan from the oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes before removing from the pan. Run a knife around the edges of the loaf for easier removal.