Eating more nuts is associated with a lower risk of heart disease, cancer and all-cause mortality as well as death from respiratory disease, infections and diabetes. WHAT?! ? WOW!!! This is what researchers concluded after reviewing 29 different studies on the topic.
While important, these findings aren’t all that surprising. This is consistent with the Global Burden of Disease Study which concluded that not eating nuts and seeds is the third leading diet-related risk factor for death and disability.
These foods are packed full of health-promoting vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They’re also filling and satisfying. Bring on the nuts, please!
When it comes to eating nuts, just a little bit goes a long way. Dr. Greger’s Daily Dozen recommends 1 serving (about a handful) each and every day. Rather than simply scarfing down nuts and seeds on their own, we recommend combing their rich and creamy goodness with other health-promoting foods.
For example, this Cinnamon Roll Pecan Butter is great for dipping apple and pear slices, drizzling over berries or topping plant-based pancakes or oatmeal. It can also be stirred into salad dressings and soups. Or just use it to make a 100% whole grain sandwich with Berry Chia Jam.
We used this food processor (Note this is an affiliate link).
Cinnamon Roll Pecan Nut Butter
- Food Processor
- 3 cups pecans, raw, unsalted
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 T vanilla extract
- 2 T pure maple syrup optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread pecans evenly on a large baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes.
- Add roasted pecans, cinnamon, salt and vanilla extract to a food processor.
- Process for 2 minutes, or until smooth. At first you may need to stop to scrape down sides.
- Remove blade from food processor (or transfer pecan butter to a mixing bowl) and stir in maple syrup, if desired.
- Transfer to a jar with a lid. Can be served immediately. Store refrigerated.
*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. This provides a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We use the products and ingredients that we link to and recommend them because we believe they are the best choice for you.