Eating whole, unprocessed foods from plants means lots of fiber and complex carbohydrates. These come with all kinds of benefits!
Firstly, fullness and satisfaction, right after a meal and hours later. Also, they promote a healthy mix of gut bacteria, important for digestion and overall health. Controlled blood sugar levels is another plus. They flush out toxins and other wastes the body doesn’t need. Oh and we can’t forget that they lead to regular bowel movements.
Thanks to the whole grains, beans and veggies in these tasty burritos, you can enjoy all of these benefits. ???
We’ve made these burritos with store-bought 100% whole grain wraps or our Homemade Whole Wheat Sweet Potato Tortillas. Just be sure to make your tortillas nice and big! Also, any leftover cooked whole grain can be used in place of brown rice.
Freezer Meal: These foil-wrapped burritos can be frozen before or after cooking. When you’re ready to enjoy, simply place in the oven at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes. HINT: Letting them thaw in the refrigerator or on the counter reduces the cooking time. Since they’re wrapped in foil, you can’t microwave to reheat.
These quickly became a favorite at our house. We can’t wait to hear what you think!
We used this food processor to make the queso (*Note this is an affiliate link).
Plant-Based Foil Wrapped Burritos with Simple Queso
- 4 squares of aluminum foil
- Place brown rice and 1 cup of water in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes.
- While rice is cooking, Add diced onion and bell pepper to a medium skillet with 2 T water over medium heat. Saute for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously, add black beans, corn, chili powder and cumin and saute for an additional 2-3 minutes. Once veggies are soft, remove from heat and set aside.
- To make queso, add all queso ingredients to food processor and blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed. To reach a smooth consistency, you'll likely need to blend for at least 2 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To assemble burritos, place a whole grain tortilla on each piece of foil. Spread with queso, leaving about 1 inch around all edges. Add cooked whole grain, to the center of each tortilla, distributing it equally between the 4 tortillas. Repeat with the cooked beans/veggies. To roll, fold in the sides and tightly roll into a burrito. Wrap each burrito with foil.
- Place foil wrapped burritos in the oven, cook for 8 minutes. *This step is optional, though allows the flavors to distribute and tortilla to become nice and soft!
*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We use the products and ingredients that we link to and recommend them because we believe they are the best choice for you.