Mushrooms have been connected to a multitude of health benefits. Specifically, mushrooms may boost immune function, lessen symptoms of seasonal allergies, suppress cancer promoting enzymes and prevent DNA damage. While there are slight nutritional differences between varieties of mushrooms, all are a great choice. White mushrooms, portobello, oyster, baby bella – go with whatever you enjoy!
When incorporating mushrooms, keep in mind that it’s best to not eat them raw because they contain a toxin called agaritine. This is easily destroyed by cooking.
While mushrooms are very low in calories, this dish becomes more substantial with the addition of potatoes. Any variety of potato will work but the more colorful potatoes (red or purple potatoes or sweet potatoes) contain more nutrients. Always make sure to wash potatoes well and leave the skin on (it contains a lot of the nutrients!).
Another plus with this dish is that it has curry powder, which contains the health promoting spice turmeric.
This dish can be served as a side or made into a meal by spreading it over a bed of greens or cooked whole grains (such as barley).
It’s great topped with chopped green onions, red pepper flakes or fresh parsley.
This is the Le Creuset Cast Iron Skillet we used for this recipe. (*Affiliate link)
If you don’t have an oven-safe pan, saute in a skillet on the stove-top and then transfer the mixture to a medium casserole dish before transferring to the oven.
Oil-Free Mushroom & Potato Bake
- Cast Iron Skillet or any oven-safe skillet
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 2 potatoes, diced into 1/2 inch cubes any variety
- 16 oz mushrooms, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place sliced onion in a large oven safe skillet with 2 Tbsp water over medium high heat. Saute for 1 minute.1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Add curry powder, paprika, cayenne powder and potatoes. Stir well. Add another 1-2 Tbsp of water. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.1 tsp curry powder, 2 tsp paprika, 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper, 2 potatoes, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
- Add mushrooms, thyme, pepper and salt. Stir well. Make sure there is at least 2 T of water in the pan.16 oz mushrooms, diced into 1/2 inch cubes, 1/2 tsp dried thyme, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper, salt
- Place oven-safe pan in the oven. Cook for 30 minutes, or until potatoes are fork-tender. Carefully remove dish and serve warm.
*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We use the products and ingredients that we link to and recommend them because we believe they are the best choice for you.