This veggie-packed stew is both warming and satisfying. Perfect for feeding a hungry crowd on a cold day!
What we like most about this stew is it’s filled with a big mix of veggies, meaning lots of nutrients! If you don’t have one of the veggies in the recipe, simply swap out for another veggie. Thanks to the generous mix of herbs and spices, the end-product will still be delish. ?
The simple step of pureeing a portion at the end of cooking offers a nice creamy texture (pictured below). It also thickens the stew. This is a GREAT trick to enhance the texture without adding dairy. You can also make this a Hearty Pumpkin Stew by adding a 15-oz can of pumpkin puree. This is another great way to get that creamy texture!
Any type of onion or potato works well in this stew, but for the most nutrients, choose color. Red onions offer more nutrients than white onions. Red potatoes or sweet potatoes are more nutrient-rich than white potatoes. The colors are the health-promoting, disease-fighting phytochemicals!
Be sure to always leave the skin on potatoes. By taking it off you miss out on most of the nutrients. Not to mention – what a time-saver!
Another tip – if you have an Italian herb mix, feel free to substitute 1 tablespoon for the oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme and sage.
When making this recipe, we used this dutch oven and this immersion blender (*affiliate links).
Hearty Vegetable Stew
- dutch oven
- Immersion Blender
- 1 onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 celery stalks, cut into 1/2" chuncks
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1/2" chunks
- 16 oz mushrooms, cut into large chunks
- 3 large potatoes, cut into 1" chunks
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 tomato, diced
- 3 T tamari or soy sauce
- 1 T paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried sage
- 5 cups water
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree optional
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place onion, garlic, celery, carrots and 1/4 cup water in a large pot over high heat. Saute for 3-4 minutes. Add a small amount of water, if needed.
- Add all other ingredients. Bring to a simmer, cover and turn heat to low. Let simmer for 20-25 minutes, until potatoes are soft.
- Remove 2 cups of the soup and carefully blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Return to pot.
- Serve with garnishes such as fresh parsley and red pepper flakes.
*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We use the products and ingredients that we link to and recommend them because we believe they are the best choice for you.