Dark-green, leafy veggies are the healthiest food we can put in our bodies. They simply offer the most nutrition per calorie. This big salad is an easy – and filling – way to get plenty of greens and other veggies. The best thing about it is that no salad is ever the same. Just use what you have on hand and whatever is in season.
To put this salad in your typical meal rotation, cook a big batch of your favorite grain at the beginning of each week. The dressing can be made in bulk and kept in the refrigerator.
The quinoa can be replaced with any cooked grain or a combination of cook grains – brown rice, barley, buckwheat, amaranth, millet. The chickpeas can be swapped out with any bean or lentil.
Greens & Grains Salad
- 2 cups leafy greens of choice spinach, kale, romaine, collards, mustard greens, swiss chard, arugula, romaine
- 2 cups chopped veggies of choice cucumber, broccoli, cauliflower, snow peas, carrots, onions, bell peppers, cabbage, radish, celery, tomatoes
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1-2 tsp pure maple syrup
- Top leafy greens with veggies, quinoa and chickpeas in a large salad bowl.
- Whisk together vinegar, mustard, pepper and maple syrup in a small bowl. Maple syrup can be adjusted to your taste.
- Top salad with preferred amount of dressing.