The Blue Zones

The Blue Zones are places around the world where people live the longest and have very low rates of chronic disease. Living over 100 isn’t unheard of and it’s totally normal for 90 year olds to be out water-skiing. Sign me up!!

These five areas of the world have been studied extensively. Though Blue Zones are scattered around the globe, there are trends that come up time and time again. These “Blue Zone Secrets” are things that anyone can do to promote health and longevity.

The Blue Zones aren’t all about whole-food, plant-based eating. However, three of the nine “secrets” are related to eating, and one of these three lessons supports the power of plants.

1 – Plant Slant: Put simply, Blue Zones eat mostly plants. More specifically, 95% of calories are coming from plants. That leaves only 5% from animal products. Small servings of animal products are eaten maybe a few times a month. Diets are rich in carbohydrates, such as whole grains, beans, squash and tubers (sweet potatoes, carrots, beets, etc.). Processed foods are limited or non-existent and a typical snack is a whole food such as nuts.

2 – 80% Rule: Eating until 80% satisfied and most foods are consumed earlier in the day..

3 – Wine at 5: Drinking moderating and always with a meal and with others.

These additional lessons aren’t food related, but still important.

4 – Move Naturally: Not necessarily exercise, movement is simply a normal part of the day.

5 – Purpose: Knowing your reason for getting out of bed.

6 – Down Shift: Daily habits that help to de-stress.

7 – Right Tribe: Those you’re around support healthy behaviors.

8 – Loved Ones First: Family and loved ones are a priority.

9 – Belong: Attending faith-based services regularly.

This is a simple overview, but there’s so much more to learn about these unique locations. Dive deeper by checking out the The Blue Zones book or Blue Zones website.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *