A strong case can be made for eating berries every day. Research shows that they offer potential protection against cancer, boost the immune system and protect the brain. The vibrant colors in berries scream antioxidants. In blueberries, the anthocyanin pigment that gives them their rich color are those powerful antioxidants.
Blueberry pie is a great way to satisfy a sweet tooth while getting your dose of berries. The berries pair well with the nutty crust that adds another level of flavor and a soft yet crunchy texture. This pie is delicious right out of the oven or leftover.
Don’t limit this pie crust to blueberry filling. It is versatile and can be used for both fresh and baked fruit pies. The date paste, flaxseed and nut mixture is a nutritious and flavorful base for any pie.
Sweet Blueberry & Nut PiePrint
- 4 cups blueberries
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1/2 cup date syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 T corn starch
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place all crust ingredients in a food processor fitted with an "S" blade. Process until sticky consistency is reached, stopping to scrape down sides of processor as needed.
- Press into a 9" pie pan and use fingers to shape edges.
- Toss blueberries with other filling ingredients and pour into pie crust.
- Cover pie carefully with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 15 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Enjoy warm or let cool for a more firm filling.