This is a recipe one of my high school students found after I gave them an assignment to find a protein-rich plant-based recipe. The kids then prepared and critiqued this recipe. To say it went over well is an understatement- Almost all of my 165 students said they liked it, which is quite the anomaly for 16, 17 and 18 year olds!
- 1 cup Peanuts
- 3/4 cup Dates pitted
- 10 oz Strawberries frozen
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 Tbsp Peanut Butter
- 10 Strawberries fresh
- Lightly grease a tart pan with oil. Set aside.
- Add the pitted dates and roasted peanuts to a food processor and pulverize until it comes together into a "dough", with small peanut bits remaining.
- Press the dough evenly along the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan. Use the back of a spatula to press evenly. Press down until it is very packed.
- Place the berries in a microwave proof bowl and microwave for 1 minute 20 seconds.
- Mash the berries with a fork and stir in the chia seeds, and microwave for another minute.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Spread the berry chia filling evenly in the crust.
- Slice the 10 fresh strawberries.
- Arrange the strawberry slices over the berry jam as desired and drizzle with peanut butter. You may have to microwave peanut butter to be able to drizzle it.
- Place in the refrigerator for at least an hour to set before slicing and serving.