Full-disclosure: This colorful and flavorful bean salad is courtesy of our bro and (new!?) sister-in-law. They often serve it at get-togethers and it’s quickly become a favorite. I’d argue that a record amount was consumed at an annual holiday gathering this year. Pretty awesome for something so quick, easy and affordable!
This party-pleaser not only has one, but TWO types of beans! The benefits of eating beans cannot be overstated. A few include:
- Packed with good stuff (fiber, iron, folate, magnesium and other important nutrients)
- Good source of protein, without the bad stuff (saturated fat, cholesterol, hormones)
- Full of protective antioxidants
- Packed with fiber to keep you full and satisfied
- Great for feeding a healthy gut
For more info on why you and beans should get together regularly, check out our post: Why these Dietitians are Big on Beans.
We like to enjoy this salsa alongside our oil-free Homemade Tortilla Chips (instructions for these in the recipe ?). Other possible vehicles for getting this goodness to your mouth include cucumber slices, celery sticks, sliced rutabaga or sliced kohlrabi.
Party-Pleaser Bean Salsa with Homemade Tortilla Chips
- 1 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed or 1.5 cup cooked
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed or 1.5 cup cooked
- 1.5 cup frozen corn, thawed or 1, 15 oz can
- 1 28 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped approximately 1 bunch
- 1 lime, juiced or 2 T lime juice
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper or to taste
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 12 6-inch corn tortilla shells
- Add all ingredients to a large bowl, stir to combine.
- Can be served immediately, though best if refrigerated, covered, for at least 8 hours.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Slice tortillas into 8 wedges. Arrange wedges on 2 baking sheets. They can be next to each other, just not overlapping.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until starting to brown. Watch these carefully as they can burn quickly.