When my husband had a craving for a hearty breakfast sandwich I was up for the challenge. He made it clear that he wouldn’t settle for anything less than:
– sausage-like flavor
With a little trial and error I’m happy to report that there’s now a favorite breakfast at our house!
The patty is made from tempeh (fermented soybeans), carrots and a unique mix of herbs and spices. The ingredient list is long but you’re just measuring and tossing everything into a food processor. These patties are both flavorful and filling and you can enjoy them on their own, with a side of breakfast hash or as a sandwich.
Tempeh can be found at most grocery stores, usually close to the deli section, along with other meat-alternatives. It’s made of only soybeans, so compared to more processed meat alternatives, it’s a great choice! I’m able to find it at our local Kroger and Walmart as well as Trader Joe’s and Fresh Thyme.
One awesome thing about cooking plant-based is that you can try everything raw without having to worry about food poisoning. Obviously you can’t try raw meat and this means you have no idea what changes might make it better until after it’s fully cooked and too late. When making a tempeh-based sausage you can try a bite after all of the spices are mixed in and make adjustments on the spot based on your preference.
Turmeric (*affiliate link) is optional as it doesn’t significantly alter the flavor. I recommend turmeric at breakfast as often as possible so you know that you get your daily dose. Check out the turmeric post for a reminder of the awesome benefits.
Breakfast sandwiches are just one reason you’ll want to keep a supply of this Better than Cheese Spread & Queso in your refrigerator at all times. Spreading a generous amount onto the English Muffin is highly recommended.
We used Food for Life Eziekel Sprouted Grain English Muffins. When it comes to all bread products, we recommend sprouted grain breads which are made from grains that are allowed to sprout and then are ground up. These offer the most nutrition bang for your buck. The second best option is a product that is 100% whole grain.
When making this recipe, we used this food processor (*Note this is an affiliate link).
Loaded Breakfast Sammy
- 8 oz tempeh
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot approximately 1 small carrot
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 pitted dates
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp dried sage
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 T apple cider vinegar
- 2 T Liquid Aminos
- 100% whole grain English muffins
- avocado slices
- greens (spinach, romaine, kale, etc)
- vegan queso
- Place tempeh and carrot in a food processor, blend into crumbs scraping down sides as needed. Add all additional ingredients and blend until combined. Mixture will resemble ground sausage.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Best if refrigerated overnight.
- When ready to cook, pre-heat oven to 400 degrees F.
- To form into patties, line a 1/3 cup measuring cup with plastic wrap, fill cup half-way full with mixture and press into the bottom of cup. To remove from measuring cup simply lift plastic. Repeat with remaining mixture to form 8 patties.
- Place patties on a parchment-lined baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 20 minutes. Flip and bake for 5 additional minutes, or until firm.
- Serve warm. To make sandwiches, use 100% whole grain English Muffins and desired fixings.