Jackfruit makes an awesome taco filling because it can really soak up flavor and offers a substantial texture. Trust me – it truly is impressive in the texture department.
You can find it at most grocery stores in the canned fruit section. Be sure to choose young, green, unripe jackfruit. Ripe jackfruit won’t shred and it will ruin your overall jackfruit experience – I’ve made this mistake! If you have a hard time finding jackfruit, an Asian or Indian store would be a great place to look. I also know I can get it at Trader Joe’s and Fresh Thyme.
Jackfruit is often used as a plant-based alternative to pulled pork. Nutritionally, the difference is huge. A cup of green jackfruit has just 45 calories as well as 7 grams of fiber and no fat. Compare this to 1 cup of pulled pork: 260 calories, 16 grams of fat and no fiber. When it comes to your health, going for the jackfruit is a no-brainer!
We recommend enjoying these tacos with corn or whole wheat tortillas, your favorite toppings and, of course, a generous amount of this garlic sauce. You can also make a tasty taco bowl by serving the filling and sauce over cooked whole grains and leafy greens. Or just eat the filling on it’s own. You do you.
I used this food processor to make the white sauce. *Note this is an affiliate link.
Jackfruit Tacos with Garlic White Sauce
Garlic White Sauce
- 8 6 inch tortilla shells
- toppings of choice (sliced peppers, diced tomatoes, hot sauce, shredded cabbage)
- Drain and rinse jackfruit. Cut tips off of jackfruit pieces and shred using a fork or your hands (shred and use tips).
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, saute diced onion and minced garlic in 2 T water for 2 minutes.
- Add shredded jackfruit and all remaining filling ingredients. Reduce heat to low, place lid on pan and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Garlic White Sauce
- Drain water from cashews. Add all sauce ingredients to a food processor fitted with an S-blade and process for 30 seconds, or until smooth.
- Load filling onto corn or whole wheat tortillas and add toppings of choice. Drizzle with garlic white sauce.
*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We use the products and ingredients that we link to and recommend them because we believe they are the best choice for you.