Crunchy, flavorful and filling, these *oil-free* crispy chickpeas are great as a salty snack, sprinkled over a salad or used to top roasted veggies. They travel well and are a healthy alternative to your typical uber-processed snack foods – chips, crackers, etc.
Dr. Greger’s Daily Dozen includes 3 servings of beans. Just a half-cup of roasted chickpeas and you can check one serving off of your list.
So why should we make it a priority to eat beans every day?
- They’ve been called “the most important predictor of survival” and research suggests that just modest increases in the amount of beans consumed is associated with increased longevity.
- Beans are associated with decreased type 2 diabetes.
- Eating beans means more nutrients and improved body weight control.
- Adding beans can even lead to weight loss, without intentional calorie restriction.
- Beans can help reduce cholesterol and control blood pressure.
Whip up a batch (or two) of these herb roasted chickpeas and keep them on-hand for when you’re in the mood for something crunchy. Making a double batch is recommended – these store for months in a sealed container in the freezer.
Oil-Free Herb Roasted Chickpeas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread chickpeas on a clean kitchen towel to dry.
- Add all ingredients (except chickpeas) to a mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add chickpeas to bowl and stir until herbs are evenly distributed.
- Spread chickpeas onto baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Stir with a wooden spoon and then roast an additional 5-10 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Enjoy immediately or transfer to an airtight container once cooled.