These chocolate, oat cookies are tasty, but the orange-apricot glaze puts them over the top! Tons of flavor and fancy, perfect for special occasions.
The natural sweetness in these treats is from whole fruits: oranges, banana, apricots and dates. Compared to the standard cookie sweetener, white sugar (ugh), these offer lots of nutrients and fiber. The flavor is also more dynamic. So many WINS!!
If dates are new to you, check out this post to learn more about cooking with dates. Check out last year’s Chocolate Peanut Butter Easter Treats HERE!
We used this Food Processor for this recipe. (Note this is an affiliate link).
Easter Thumbprint Cookies
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3 T cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 medium orange
- 1/4 cup water
- 10 pitted Deglet Noor dates
- 1 medium banana ripe or extra ripe
- 1 medium orange
- 6 dried apricots
- 2 pitted Deglet Noor dates
- 2 T water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add rolled oats to food processor and process into a coarse flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oat flour, cacao, baking power and salt.
- Zest orange, add zest to food processor. Peel orange, remove seeds and add orange flesh to food processor. Add water, pitted dates and banana, process until smooth. Add to dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Using a cookie scoop (or your hands), form cookies and place on parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Zest orange to obtain 1 tsp zest. Peel orange, remove seeds and add flesh to food process along with zest and all remaining glaze ingredients. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
- Immediately after removing cookies from oven, carefully use your thumb to make 1/4 inch deep "prints" in the middle of all cookies.
- Using a small spoon, add approximately 1 tsp of glaze to each cookie. Enjoy warm or cold.
*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We use the products and ingredients that we link to and recommend them because we believe they are the best choice for you.