Hummus started out as a garbanzo bean-based dish, but wow have the options expanded! Nearly any bean can create that familiar hummus texture, but with a new twist. This recipe proves that black beans can hold their own in the world of hummus. We added some basil for that subtle fresh and peppery flavor, which pairs perfectly with the Italian Zest Flaxseed Crackers shown in the photos.
We’ve both been hummus lovers forever- it’s my appetizer go-to when we eat out (hold the olive oil on top). But every now and again the old school chickpea hummus gets a little redundant. When that happens we like to get a little crazy and experiment.
This is by far one of our best and most unique hummus recipes we’ve dreamed up. Black bean hummus seems to be fairly common now, although throw in some basil and sun dried tomatoes and you’ve got an entirely new flavor!
Foods Alive is a family owned company in Angola, Indiana. While they have a variety of products, our favorite is their flax crackers that are made with whole, plant-based ingredients. There’s a few cracker flavors we’re especially fond of..
These crackers are made with whole flaxseed rather than ground flaxseed. We usually use ground because it allows the body to absorb all the good stuff. However, the flaxseed used in these crackers are soaked, which opens the door for better absorption. So when eating these crackers you don’t have to worry about missing out on those nutrients!
For a match made in heaven, pair this Black Bean Basil Hummus with the Foods Alive Italian Zest Flax Crackers. The crunchy texture of the cracker and smoothness of the hummus is a satisfying combo. All topped off with a perfect mixture of Italian herbs!
Black Bean Basil Hummus
- 1 15-oz can black beans drained & rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves packed
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes OPTIONAL
- splash of water if needed
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Stop and scrape down sides as needed.
- Add water as needed to reach desired consistency.
- Garnish with chopped up sun dried tomatoes or basil, if desired.
- We recommend serving this dip with the Foods Alive Original Flax Crackers or the Italian Zest Flax Crackers.