While quick bread typically contains refined grains and multiple animal products, a few tweaks and you’ve got a plant-based treat. One that is arguably more delicious! This zucchini bread is a perfect example that you can continue to bake favorite dishes while eating wholly plants.
Haven’t baked with dates before? You’ll find these at most groceries with the dried fruit or in the bulk food section. They add sweetness along with fiber and other nutrients. Learn more by checking out our date post.
Swapping flaxseed for eggs is another trick that takes out the bad stuff (such as cholesterol) and adds the good (more fiber and healthy fats). Learn more about this small but mighty seed in our flaxseed post.
A sweet and moist bread, its delicious on its own but can also be topped with nut butter or chia jam for added flavor. The add-ins offer extra nutrients, texture and flavor. Our favorites are goji-berries and walnuts.
When making zucchini bread, we use this food processor. (Note this is an affiliate link).
Plant-Based Spiced Zucchini Bread
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Make flax eggs by stirring together flaxseed and water in a small cup. Let sit for a few minutes.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and allspice in a large mixing bowl.
- Place shredded zucchini, dates and vanilla extract in a food processor fitted with an "S" blade. Blend for 1-2 minutes, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. Small pieces may remain, make sure all large pieces have been processed.
- Pour zucchini mix and flax eggs into dry mixture as well as any add-ins (goji berries or walnuts) and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour dough into a non-stick or lightly greased 9x5 inch bread pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife pushed into the center comes out clean.