Looking for a healthy breakfast that you can grab on your way out the door? Or maybe a lunch that can be packed in a cooler and eaten cold? Overnight oats to the rescue!
While steel cut oats are the best choice because they are less processed, rolled oats (also called old-fashioned oats) are still a whole grain. Rolled oats seem to result in the best texture with this recipe, but steel cut oats can be used if you enjoy a chewy mouth-feel.
Overnight oats can be kept in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Flax and chia seeds are optional but this is another easy way to sneak them into your day. After trying out this tropical mix, feel free to get creative with the flavoring:
- Blueberries and pecan pieces
- Banana and a scoop of peanut butter
- The recipe below with pineapple rather than mango
- Banana and a tablespoon of cocoa powder
- Raisins and walnut pieces
- Pumpkin puree, nutmeg and cinnamon
- Place oats, chia, flax, almond milk and vanilla extract in a mason jar. Stir well.
- Top with remaining ingredients and put the lid on the jar.
- Place in the refrigerator overnight, or for at least 6 hours.
- Enjoy cold or remove lid and microwave for 30 seconds, being careful not to let oatmeal boil over. Stir before eating.