This recipe has it all: a whole grain (quinoa), beans (black and kidney), veggies (sweet potatoes, onions, corn), and spices (garlic, chili powder, cumin, cininamon). All of those different ingredients offer their own unique health benefits and come together to create this flavor-packed delicious chili!
This is one of our favorite chili recipes because it doesn’t require much effort. Other than chopping the sweet potatoes and onion, there isn’t much other prep work involved. Everything else can be rinsed and tossed in the pot for an easy lunch or dinner.
Sweet Potato Quinoa Chili
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 small sweet potatoes (or 2 large) diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 3 tsp Cumin
- 4 cup Vegetable Broth low sodium, divided
- 1 cup Quinoa uncooked
- 1 15 oz. can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup corn frozen or canned
- 1 cinnamon stick
- In a large pot over medium heat, saute diced onion in 2 teaspoons water. Add diced sweet potato and spices. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add 3 cups vegetable broth and bring mixture to a low boil on high heat. Lower heat to medium and add quinoa, beans, corn and cinnamon stick.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes or until sweet potatoes are fork tender. Stir in additional cup of vegetable broth. Taste and add more seasonings as needed. Remove from heat.
- Remove cinnamon stick and top with fresh cilantro, lime juice, and avocado.
Adapted from Kim’s Cravings