Have you ever had a leftover dessert (like pie) and were really tempted to eat it for breakfast?? When we try to “healthify” dessert recipes we know we’ve succeeded when 1. our dad and father-in-laws go in for seconds and 2. we can eat it for breakfast without even a tinge of guilt. This pecan pie meets both of those criteria. Try this recipe out for your next holiday gathering and if there is any left (that’s a big IF) then eat it for breakfast the next day… we dare you!
- 1 1/2 cup Mixed nuts
- 1 Tbsp Flaxseed ground
- 3 Tbsp Water
- 1/4 cup Dates pitted
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 1/4 cup Dates pitted, packed
- 1 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder or 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup Water
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 tsp Vanilla
- 1 cup Pecans roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup Applesauce unsweetened
- 1 cup Pecans whole
- 1/8 cup Water
- 6 Dates
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Mix the ground flaxseed and 3 tablespoons of water together to make 1 flax egg. Let sit for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Place the flax egg and all other crust ingredients in a food processor. Process until a dough has formed. There will be small bits of nuts intact.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until edges of crust are golden brown.
- Blend the dates, water, arrowroot powder, salt, and vanilla until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in the applesauce and chopped pecans.
- Pour into the prepared pie crust.
- Decorate the top with the whole pecans in whatever pattern you like. Push the pecans into the filling slightly to secure them.
- Cover loosely with a foil tent and bake for 50 minutes, or until puffy.
- Combine water and dates for the topping in a food processor and process until very smooth to create a date syrup.
- Remove pie from oven and brush with the date syrup. Return to oven for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before cutting.
*We are a participant in affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to affiliated sites. We use the products and ingredients that we link to and recommend them because we believe they are the best choice for you.