In my mind, the beginning of summer is marked by the first time we grill out. Now that that’s happened, summer has unofficially started! Bring on the swimming, sunshine, tank tops, tanned skin and grilled veggies!
We have the perfect recipe for your Memorial Day, grilling out, hanging by the pool, soaking up the sun enjoyment! This is a super simple yet versatile recipe. We like to cook these veggie foil packs on the grill, but you can also bake them in the oven or put them over some hot coals in your fire pit.
There aren’t any rules when it comes to the veggies. Don’t like mushrooms? Sub zucchini. Don’t have kale? Throw in some green peppers instead. The options are limitless — go crazy, kids! Veg out!
Too often we forget about the veggies when we fire up the grill. Grilling is one of the tastiest (and easiest) ways to prepare veggies, so take advantage.
Some of the health benefits of this simple recipe are…
- antioxidants from the kale that fight cancer
- folate and niacin from the mushrooms that have cholesterol-lowering properties
- high starch content in the potatoes that help us feel full
- diallyl sulfide in the onions that block the effects of carcinogens
- thymol in the thyme that boost the effects of healthy omega-3 fats
- tons of antioxidants in the oregano that prevent DNA damage
- chromium in the black pepper that promote blood sugar balance
- salicylic acid (that’s a mouthful) in the paprika that have anti-inflammatory actions
My favorite recipes are the ones that require zero skill and this would be one of them!
Mix the spices together and clean/prep the veggies. Combine everything in a bowl. Pour the veggies on foil sheets and wrap them up tight.
Throw your foil packs on the grill, set a timer for a half hour and forget about them. A half hour later, pull one of the packs off the grill and peek inside. Stick a knife or fork in a potato to make sure it’s soft all the way through. Do a happy dance when you see it is and disperse packs to the lucky recipients. Don’t forget to keep one for yourself and enjoy!
Grilled Cajun Veggie Foil Packs
- 1 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 4 ears sweet corn shucked & cleaned
- 1.5 lb bag baby red potatoes ~20 potatoes
- 1 large onion chopped into large pieces
- 2 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup kale packed
- 1/8 cup vegetable broth or water
- Combine all spices in a small bowl and mix well.
- NOTE: This recipe will make approximately 1/4 cup of cajun seasoning. Depending on how flavorful you like your veggies, you may not use all of it. If you have extra, store it in an airtight container at room temperature for future use.
Assembly of Veggies Packs
- Heat a grill on medium heat.
- Break ears of corn into half. Add corn, potatoes, onion, mushrooms and kale into a large bowl. Pour vegetable broth (or water) over veggies. Sprinkle cajun seasoning over veggies and stir to evenly coat everything.
- Tear 4 pieces of aluminum foil at about 1.5 feet in length. Divide the veggies evenly onto the 4 sheets of foil. Wrap each pack tight and place on grill for 30 to 35 minutes or until veggies are done.