Looking for a way to get more fruits and veggies in 2019? Look no further than this simple and delicious smoothie!
The benefits of fruits and veggies are simple – the more we eat the healthier we are. What an easy concept, eating more fruits and veggies is associated with a decrease in heart disease, cancer and overall mortality.
Check out the benefits of the ingredients featured in this green smoothie:
- Grapefruit can help combat DNA damage. Our DNA is constantly being abused, so this is important!
- Pineapple is both delicious and packed with vitamin C. Hello immune system!
- When it comes to leafy greens, spinach is one of the star cancer fighters. And – even though it turns your smoothie green – you can’t even taste it!
- Ginger has been used for thousands of years to combat pain and nausea. Research has shown it to decrease pain associated with headaches, menstrual cramps and motion sickness.
Don’t let the sugar in fruit scare you off. Eating more whole fruit (using a blender means you get the whole fruit, keeping the fiber around) is actually associated with a DECREASED risk of type 2 diabetes. Fruit also has been shown to NOT worsen blood sugar control in diabetics.
Visit our kitchen essentials post for links to the blender we use for smoothie making.
Grapefruit Pineapple Smoothie
- 1 cup almond milk or other non-dairy milk
- 1 cup spinach packed
- 1 cup diced pineapple fresh or frozen
- 1 medium grapefruit peeled, seeds, removed
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger root or 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 4 pitted Deglet dates (optional)
- Combine almond milk and spinach in blender until no spinach pieces remain. Add remaining ingredients (include dates if you would prefer a sweeter smoothie) and puree until smooth.