A healthier twist on your typical rice krispie treat. Simple and kid-friendly!
Your standard Rice Krispies cereal has added sugar. For this recipe I used Arrowhead Mills Puffed Rice cereal. the only ingredient is “puffed whole grain brown rice.”
Most rice krispie treats are made with marshmallows. This option uses pureed pitted dates, offering sweetness and the stickiness needed to hold the squares together.
Finally, I have to say that the peanut butter is the star of this show. Be sure to get the natural peanut butter with no oil or sugar added. You can also use other natural nut butters (such as almond butter). I don’t recommend the fresh ground nut butters that you grind yourself in the bulk food sections of some stores – you end up with a crumbly end product.
Brown Rice Krispie Treats
- 1 cup pitted deglet dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup natural peanut butter (or other natural nut or seed butter)
- 6 cups crispy brown rice cereal
- Add pitted dates, 1/2 cup warm water and vanilla to food processor. Let soak for 20 minutes.
- While soaking the dates, add peanut butter to a microwave-safe bowl and add brown rice cereal to a large mixing bowl. Line an 8 inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Puree dates, water and vanilla until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides as needed.
- Add date mixture to peanut butter and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir to combine. If mixture is not runny, microwave for another 15-20 seconds.
- While hot, pour date mixture over brown rice cereal. Stir until all cereal is covered.
- Pour mixture into parchment-lined pan and firmly press until flat and even. This can be done with a spatula or your hands. Place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes to firm. Slice into squares and serve.
*We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We use the products and ingredients that we link to and recommend them because we believe they are the best choice for you.