Making pizza on the grill is not only more fun, but adds a flavor that you just can’t match using an oven. Mango offers a sweet surprise when you’re in the mood for more than just your typical pizza.
Ideally we’d be making our own pizza dough every time this Italian favorite is on the menu, but sometimes we need something a little more efficient. Keeping 100% whole wheat frozen bread dough on-hand makes it easy to whip up a week-night, last-minute pizza. Frozen bread dough is found in the freezer section at most grocery stores. It can be difficult to find, but 100% whole wheat is your best option.
If it’s a rainy evening or you don’t (yet?) own a grill, you can get (almost) the same great results in an oven. Simply preheat your oven to 400 degrees F, spread thawed bread dough on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake dough as instructed below.
A fun fact about pizza- time and time again it’s voted the #1 food craving. People say that it’s the food they crave more than anything else. This is thought to be because of the addictive nature of the combination of high salt, high fat and the opiates in cheese. Obviously this combo is anything but healthy.
So can pizza really be a part of a health-promoting diet?
You’ll notice that this pizza is a far cry from your typical white bread, cheesy, meaty, greasy, deep-dish. When you steer clear of the artery clogging animal fat and avoid the side effects of cheese (to learn more check out The Cheese Trap) you can end up with a pretty healthy dish. By piling it high with veggies you’ll walk away feeling satisfied AND you’ll get your fill of nutrients.
Feel free to load up with other favorite toppings – tomatoes, zucchini, olives. Don’t forget to top with nutritional yeast for added flavor and nutrients.
Mango Pizza on the Grill
- 1 loaf frozen whole wheat bread dough
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper (any color), diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cups leafy greens, chopped (kale, spinach, rainbow chard)
- 1 cup frozen mango, thawed and diced
- nutritional yeast (optional)
- Leave frozen bread dough on counter to thaw for 4 hours (or per package directions). Or microwave on defrost for 5-8 minutes, or until no longer frozen.
- Add 2 T water to a large skillet over medium heat. Add diced onion, peppers and mushroom and cook for 5 minutes to soften. Remove from heat.
- Add all sauce ingredients to a medium bowl and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Heat grill to 400 degrees F.
- Press pizza dough evenly onto a pizza stone to create crust.
- Cook dough on the grill, on pizza stone, for 5 minutes. Flip and cook for additional 5 minutes, or until dough is firm but not crispy.
- Leaving on the grill, top with pizza sauce (1/2 to 3/4 of sauce), leafy greens, cooked veggies and mango. Close grill and let cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Once dough has reached desired crispiness, remove pizza stone from grill, sprinkle with nutritional yeast, slice and serve.