Need an easy side dish that will be a hit with the whole family? Or just wanting to mix up your carrot game? These sweet and savory balsamic roasted carrots are the answer.
We grabbed this underutilized recipe from the blog archives and made a few tweaks. We’re happy to say these roasted carrots are now even more low maintenance (just 4 ingredients) and somehow more flavorful!
They can be a compliment to any entree or made into a meal of their own when served over a big bed of whole grains and/or greens with a drizzle of balsamic on top.
Just as antioxidants protect our bodies, they also protect the plants that create them. That’s why the outer-most area of plants (which comes in contact with the environment) is the most antioxidant-rich. So, when possible, avoid peeling your fruits and veggies. When you do that you are literally peeling off and throwing out loads of precious antioxidants!
While it’s often a habit to peel whole carrots, it isn’t necessary. *Save the antioxidants!* As long as you wash and scrub them well you can leave the skin on. After roasting you wont even notice the skin because of the rich flavor and soft texture.
Sweet Balsamic Roasted Carrots
- 1 lb whole carrots, washed 6-8 medium carrots
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 T honey for vegan: agave or maple syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Line a 9x9 inch baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Top and scrub carrots. Place whole carrots evenly spaced in lined pan. Add 1/4 cup water and ground black pepper.
- Cook for 30 minutes.
- Combine balsamic vinegar and honey (or other sweetener) in a small bowl. Remove carrots from oven, brush with balsamic mixture and cook for an additional 10 minutes, or until carrots are soft.
- Enjoy over fresh baby spinach and/or a cooked whole grains. Garnish with dried parsley, if desired.